MacArthur's Park - Brand New Lyrics
Will Dockery
2012-09-28 14:12:08 UTC
Interesting, Tom... I'll need to take some time on this one.

"Tom Hendricks" <tom-***@att.net> wrote in message news:861ebc26-fb2f-415f-8524-***@googlegroups.com...
MacARTHUR'S PARK ( Brand New Lyrics)

Look to left field and outside the box for this one - Remember that long,
dramatic and classic song by the great songwriter, Jimmy Webb, from the
60's, called MacArthur's Park? Well I think most people will agree that the
tune is GREAT but the lyrics are... well... at the very least, hard to make
sense of. So I'm writing new lyrics. Sing along with them and compare them
with the original. Below the lyrics, are three great versions of the song
with the original lyrics. They are by Richard Harris, who made it a hit,
Jimmy Webb, who composed it, and Glenn Campbell with a great guitar middle.

If you like the way the original is - you will always have that version. But
here is an alternate for those who would like to hear a different take on
the music..
I tried to keep the general tone and mystery of the original, but at the
same time, make it more concrete with all the lines holding together to
support the overall bittersweet , love lost ,theme of the music.

MY VERSION

Time was never waiting for us girl. It ran one step ahead
As we followed in the dance.

Between it's numbered pages
Was pressed a day I'll not forget,
of found then lost romance.

MacArthur's Park is melting in to dark
All the sweet green icing fading away.
Someone left this moment in the rain
I don't think that I can save it 'cause it took so long to make it
And It'll never be this perfect again, oh, no

I recall the clinging cotton dress, soaked by all the rain
As I held you close to me
Old men playing checkers in the park
and the young birds singing songs, in the trees.

MacArthur's Park is melting in to dark
All the sweet green icing slipping away.
Someone left this moment in the rain
I don't think that I can save it 'cause it took so long to make it
And I'll never have this recipe again, oh, no

There will be another song for me
And I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Somehow I'll reach it

I will live my life up to the brim
And never linger under any setting sun.

And after all the days of my life
After all the loves of my life, you'll still be the one

I will take my life, into my hands, and I will live it
I once won the worship in your eyes then somehow lost it.
I will have the things that I desire
through my memories that I still have left to me.

And after all the heartache and strife
Oh, after all the heartache and strife
I'll be thinking of you - the love of my life.

MacArthur's park is melting in to dark
All the sweet green icing flowing down.
Someone left this moment in the rain
I don't think that I can save it 'cause it took so long to make it
And It'll never be this perfect again, oh, no - oh no!

Richard Harris

Jimmy Webb

Glenn Campbell

Tom Hendricks
(editor of the 19 year old zine Musea)

ZINE, Named one of the best ZINES by UTNE magazine. Featured on ROCKETBOOM)
http://www.Musea.us
MUSIC, 6 full CD's of free Post-Bands Music)
http://www.Hunkasaurus.com
BLOG for Musea, Art Contests, Weekly E-mail Messages)
http://www.Musea.wordpress.com
Will Dockery
2012-10-11 14:27:49 UTC
Jimmy Webb still performs and his shows are not just his versions of his
songs made famous by many others but a nice set of introductions before
most of the songs. You may be able to hunt down tapes of the shows, the
one
I have is great and gives a new perspective on what most people consider a
mere pop songwriter.
"If you want to remain judged always guilty by God, just hang onto the
OT laws the way that you do." - Georgann on a G*d trip.
Nice heads-up, great to know Jimmy Webb is still keeping it rolling.
--
Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars return to Old SoHo:
https://www.facebook.com/events/443779825672814