70s: "Have another hit...of fresh air" Title/Band?
f***@gmail.com
2017-02-16 15:29:49 UTC
The song title is Fresh Air by Quicksilver Messenger Service
d***@gmail.com
2017-03-23 21:35:52 UTC
Thanks for the info. Dan lucas.
d***@gmail.com
2017-03-23 21:36:29 UTC
Thanks for the info. Dan lucas.
TomM
2020-09-26 13:54:54 UTC
Yes, it was Quicksilver that did that song. Quicksilver Messenger
Service was the band's name originally, but I think they shortened it to
Quicksilver, which is what they were called when they did that Fresh Air
song. They had a new vocalist, and it wasn't Mickey Thomas or Marty
Balin of the Jefferson Airplane/Starship, but his name escapes me at the
moment. It was an Italian name ending in a vowell, though. The guitar
player of Quicksilver and Quicksilver Messenger Service was John
Cipollina. He was living in Marin County and still playing but then he
died a few years ago. I read something about the singer, too, where he
was talking about how he was tormented by trying to stay in the music
business, but after that one hit, it was all downhill. His 15 minutes of
fame were up. He finally gave up music completely, and after that he was
never happier.
Boy is my face red. I was corrected by my roomate that it was Marty
Balin, not Mickey Thomas who sang "Fresh Air" (also "Miracles").
Sorry about mixing up my Jefferson Airplane/Starship vocalists.
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:56:19 -0500, "Henri Demers"
I am looking for the title and group that recorded a song in the early 70's
with the lyric: "Ouuuuuuuuu, have another hit, of fresh air" or something
The band was "Quicksilver Messenger Service" one of those generic
California acid-rock bands of the early seventies that never got any
airplay. They're main claim to fame was their lead vocalists: Boz
Scaggs and the guy who sang this tune, Mickey Thomas, later of the
Elvin Bishop Band ("Fooled Around and Fell In Love") and Starship ("We
Built This City", "Miracles", etc).
think it wasn't marty that sang fresh air...you were right the 1st
time...miracles yes.
C.R. Craddock
http://www.sirius.com/~chpslngr/
What a tangled web we weave!
The band that sang "Fresh Air" was Quicksilver Messenger Service. The band was from San Francisco and had a wealth of talent including John Cippolina and Gary Duncan on guitar and David Frieberg base, organ and Greg Elmore on drums. The original formation included Dino Valenti but he was busted and sent to prison before the band took off. Their first album QMS was a hit as was their second album Happy Trails. Later Niki Hopkins joined them on piano. After Dino Valenti was released from prison he rejoined the group and they released several more albums with recognizable songs such as "What About Me" and "Fresh Air." Niki Hopkins left followed by John Cippolina. Dino Valenti, sometimes known as Jesse Oris Farrow and Chet Powers, wrote the song made popular by the Youngbloods called "Get Together" and many of the songs on their albums after his reunion. The band was very popular in the late '60 scene in San Francisco. I was fortunate enough to see them in Green Bay in 1971 backed up by REO. Both bands put on a great show.