Stopwatch / Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2009-10-28 15:41:58 UTC
Sonnet #85 is dense with word play! Plenty for me to gnaw on here.
Just a couple of thoughts for now.
Shakespeare Sonnet-a-Day
Sonnet #85
LXXXV.
My tongue-tied Muse in manners holds her still,
Was this first line floating around in Keats' head when he wrote his
"Thou still unravished bride of quietness"
There's the obvious double use of still in both. In Shakespeare's
sonnet, it's both 'not moving' and the meaning related to a
particular time, such as 'it is still sunny'. In Keats' poem, still
is also a particular time, and also not moving, playing off of
quietness. I read both first lines and re-read them again because
their direction reverses, and the key to each for me is 'still'. Is
the bride yet  unravished? Oh wait! Is she a statue-still bride, so
very quiet? Is the Muse ever held by social behavior, i.e. manners?
Hmm, is the Muse 'tongue-tied' and therefore still?
I took it to mean what I call the Wayward Muse... like in "She's not
there... she's gone.":

http://tinyurl.com/yflxemr

Stopwatch

My wayward muse,
I am still in the bewilderness.
Leave it to me,
A mute passing notes to a blind man.

Time has a demand - she's yelling
Through shutdown clocks frozen at noon.
The memories here are snow dust
Under the tiny glittering m...oon.

Time for Winterworld descending -
Ignite time with a Werewolf bullet so slow.
Flaky leaves spin by me -
Past the ceramic building down below.

In front of a wet breeze,
I think its time to leave your smile.
Even if I am wrong,
Please sit by me for a little while.

Time to draw another picture,
Manufacture memories forever gone.
Somewhere on some red October morning,
We'll meet on that field, alone.

-Will Dockery
January 4, 2008 at 3:25am

Seaborn Jones, the celebrated Macon Georgia poet, put it nicely here:

"I lean more toward Democritus’ view that poetry is 'traced to the
poet’s invocation with the Muse' than Pindar’s view that 'poetry is an
acquired skill.' My problem is that I don’t know where my Muse is half
the time. It’s like being married to... someone who says she’s going
to the store, the...n disappears for days only to return with no
explanation, then wanders off again..." -Seaborn Jones

--
"Cheating is for losers, playing straight's for fools. Never know
which way to go." -from Black Crow's Brother by Gini Woolfolk & Will
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2009-10-28 18:34:29 UTC
[...]

= snip the bile =

Not even a blind man would consider you a poet, Duckery.