SONG EXPERT: DC Area Radio & TV~1950s, early 60s~4 Songs Search
p***@aol.com
2011-10-17 07:51:48 UTC
This is going to take a sharp minded song expert from the DC area, so
I think we'd better hurry because time is marching on.

1. DOOWOP:
R&B doo-wop in a 50s sorta style...Esquires?
(Many songs named "No Time For Tears" but they are different.)
Sounds very much like 5 Satins singing "To The Aisle."
Saw & heard on Milt Grant Show in 1957.
Maybe DC regional hit?
They played it enough that I easily remember the following:

"No time for tears my darling...no time to cry for the moon...don't
you know the good story of old...most lover's dreams end too soon.

"Take my hand & be glad to walk in the sun...we'll walk, we'll talk, &
our walk will be one.

"Don't look back on the streets of tears...in time we'll learn to
forget...there is no time for tears, my darling...take my hand &
you'll never regret."

2. ROCKABILLY:
Sounds rockabilly in my head
Guy singer...somebody like Buddy Knox, Carl Smith, Carl Perkins, or
Warren Smith or even Jerry Lee Lewis.
50s or very early 60s.
(This is NOT "Lady Godiva" by Peter & Gordon.)
Think the name of it was "Good Looking Girl."
The song goes variously thus:

"All over the world
(all over this world I'm a tellin' you)
All over this world
There's been a whole lotta lookin' for a good lookin' girl.
Lady Godiva went ridin' all over town...?
...& hair was very long...?...she was a very good lookin' girl."

3. COUNTRY:
When The Birdman of Alcatraz was still alive, there was a hue & cry
throughout the land that capital punishment should be abolished.
The movie "Birdman of Alcatraz" with Burt Lancaster came out in 1962,
which was sympathetic to the murderer.
So MAYBE 1960.
Mid-tempo song, country is the genre, male singer.
Name of the song should have been "Capital Punishment."
This line was memorably sung @ the end with moving conviction:

"...they call it capital punishment
"I call it a crime..."

4. SHOW TUNES:
"Caracalla" is a show tune sung by a chorus.
WGMS radio station played show tunes Sat afternoons, if I remember
correctly, so this is likely where I heard it.
I can find no mention of the song anywhere in any listing of "A Funny
Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum," a 1962 Broadway play.
Because of the Roman theme, that is the only reference that seems
logical, but a play from the 50s could be the source.
The lyrics I recall are:

"Caracalla...Caracalla...it's a day of mating
Time for celebrating
Caracalla...Caracalla...
Come & kiss the blushing bride...
...when a girl is wed..."

Please help with any or all or ask an expert if you know one.
s***@gmail.com
2012-07-27 20:58:17 UTC
Did you ever get an answer to

4. SHOW TUNES:
"Caracalla" is a show tune sung by a chorus.
WGMS radio station played show tunes Sat afternoons, if I remember
correctly, so this is likely where I heard it.
I can find no mention of the song anywhere in any listing of "A Funny
Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum," a 1962 Broadway play.
Because of the Roman theme, that is the only reference that seems
logical, but a play from the 50s could be the source.
The lyrics I recall are:

"Caracalla...Caracalla...it's a day of mating
Time for celebrating
Caracalla...Caracalla...
Come & kiss the blushing bride...
...when a girl is wed..."
????

I heard it on a radio station today and can't find it anywhere :(