Help ID this song! Maybe oldie, maybe not...
Dallas Ross Hicks, F.S.S.
2004-05-28 18:13:22 UTC
Hello!
Well, I've tried everything else, so let's go to the experts on this
list. I've been hunting for the artist/title of this song for my mother for
a long time now, and to no avail. She has a snippet of it on a cassette
tape and every time it would play, she'd wonder who it was. She swore it
was Annie Lennox, but after extensively searching her songs online, it
doesn't seem to be. Mom even claims it was on MuchMusic, and the female
singer had short blonde hair (might've looked like Lennox, too), but she
never caught the name or artist. What I do have is the chorus, so if anyone
knows this song, I will be forever grateful. The song may have been
released around the late 80's/early 90's, but sounds a lot like a mid-60's
Dusty Springfield ballad (yes, I tried her, too).

CHORUS
Diamonds and pearls
Won't you send me
All of the world
Wrapped in ribbons
(Placed?) in my hands
Flowers at my doorstep
I turned down the love
I didn't understand...

Any search under "Diamonds and Pearls" just gets me Prince, Kansas and a few
others that aren't it. I'm pretty sure the title comes from a lyric in one
of the verses I don't have. Good luck, folks... I look forward to hearing
from you! I'll try my best to help others out, too; I'm good with music
from the mid-50's to the late 90's.
Thanks a lot! Dal
Wolf and Dragon
2004-06-12 14:20:51 UTC
I thougt I had found it....but it turned out to be one of your request posts
(on lyrics.com)! lol

Sorry :o(

Dragon
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wolves and Dragons, for you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup."
Thanks a lot! Dal
m***@gmail.com
2014-02-08 22:20:49 UTC
Harold Groot
2014-02-09 14:58:55 UTC
Hello!Well, I've tried everything else, so let's go to the experts on thi=
s list. I've been hunting for the artist/title of this song for my mother f=
or a long time now, and to no avail. She has a snippet of it on a cassette =
tape and every time it would play, she'd wonder who it was. She swore it wa=
s Annie Lennox, but after extensively searching her songs online, it doesn'=
t seem to be. Mom even claims it was on MuchMusic, and the female singer ha=
d short blonde hair (might've looked like Lennox, too), but she never caugh=
t the name or artist. What I do have is the chorus, so if anyone knows this=
song, I will be forever grateful. The song may have been released around t=
he late 80's/early 90's, but sounds a lot like a mid-60's Dusty Springfield=
ballad (yes, I tried her, too).
slight correction to a word in the chorus
CHORUS
Diamonds and pearls WOULD you send me
All of the world wrapped in ribbons
Placed in my hands, flowers at my doorstep
I turned down the love I didn't understand
Any search under "Diamonds =
and Pearls" just gets me Prince,
Kansas and a few others that aren't it.
I'm pretty sure the title comes from a lyric
in one of the verses I don't have.
Good luck, folks... I look forward to hearing from you!
I'll try my best to help others out, too;
I'm good with music from the mid-50's to the late 90's.
Thanks a lot! Dal
Hmmm... I came across a thread from 2005/2006 where this question was
asked (by Hicks76, presumably that's you) almost word for word as you
just did above. That thread DID come up with the correct answer.
True, one person gave only the name of the singer, and another person
then gave that name with the wrong song title - but the correct answer
was eventually given, and much detailed information was given after
that.

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/misheard/smf/1085068404.shtml

Diamonds and Pearls, by Sherry Kean, 1987
from the "Maverick Heart" EP from A&M (SP 9140)

A quick websearch using "Diamonds and Pearls" "Sherry Kean" "Maverick
Heart" quickly found a youtube video of it (dated 1989):

And playing the video, that IS the chorus, and the gal singing has
short hair...

Anyway - my best to your mother.
l***@gmail.com
2020-07-15 02:49:44 UTC
Omg! I've been looking for this song for years as well.... how weird that we are all looking for it with just the chorus. Thank you so much! I used to have it on a cassette years ago and loved it so much but could never find the artist. Lost the tape too, so couldn't play it and Shazam it with my phone. My heart is happy... the internet is a wonderful thing sometimes! ❤
m***@gmail.com
2014-02-08 22:24:20 UTC
[...]
I love that song too and have been searching for it. Thats how I found this post. For some reason I thought it was done by Martina McBride, but I can't find it by her anywhere. So, I will keep searching.