"Dark Passages" / Will Dockery (w/ Mallard & Snipe)
Will Dockery
2011-12-08 18:00:51 UTC
George Dance <***@yahoo.ca> wrote:

<snip for focus & relevance>
Sure: as I said, a poem is much more than a few good phrases, and at
this point ["Dark Passages"] isn't much more than a few good phrases.
Where's the theme, for example? So my judgement would actually be
harsher than yours: I'd say that it's not a poem in its present state,
and I do't think you'd say that.
If George Dance "transforms" the work or art (poem) into what can be
observed as a "new" work of art, then he can indeed credit himself as the
author.
If George "significantly" uses my "Dark Passages" (certainly if he
does a word-for-word cut-up & shuffle, as with the example of "She
Sleeps Tight", below, or as in the infamous "adaptation" of Karma
Bombs that Michael Cook generated from my poem) then obviously I would
ask for a credit of some sort, and would leave the wording and
placement to George, though.
See below.
Or are you going to convert it into a poem
"Dark Passages" is already a poem... Dance can write /another/ poem, using
keywords from [the existing poem]
"...changing one letter of one word and adding a list in the middle, and
then pass it off as your own work?" -PJR
Actually, George would be able to just that under "Transformative
Usage", this is the method that Dale M. Houstman became famous for with such
http://omgili.com/newsgroups/alt/surrealism/bac9b49ace0d34b4c70b91746...
Adam Lynn also did some good work in this vein, using some of my poetry,
http://www.slawek.com/news/article/alt.music.lyrics/346688
*****************
Subject: She Sleeps Tight / Will Dockery (discussion of adaptation) Posted
on: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 18:37:44 +0000 (UTC)
Well, I see the two poems are close, and I've made my opinions on this
"Borrowed Keyword" poetry method clear here for years, now. When
someone does something like this to a poem of mine, I request they
give me a credit line somewhere, such as "Based on a poem by Will
http://www.freak-search.com/en/thread/1386134/she_sleeps_tightpastiche/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v9uGY157cpiU
She Sleeps Tight
Sleeps so tight
she has a marksman's eye.
Maker's mark
tattoo firewater spine.
Leather shoes
but nowhere to go.
Dice and coins
scattered in the snow.
Dice and coins
scattered in the snow.
Won't be long,
until I see her face.
She's waiting
in an undisclosed place.
I've been conspired
banned from my muse.
This won't stick
poor boy's all confused.
This won't stick
poor boy's all confused.
In Salem town
she keeps her chin so high.
Darkened breeze
she smiles as I roll by.
Step inside
she looks for tables left.
Wink at time
nothing lasts except yourself.
Wink at time
nothing lasts except yourself.
Like a Steamboat
she plans to roll on down.
To the Gulf
out of this dirty town.
Copper mesh
kept stuffed in a jar.
Sharp cold hit
turning wine to water.
Sharp cold hit
turning wine to water.
We know him
eye deed by his ship.
In a trap
a kind of goosechase trip.
Whiskey fumes
and stale gunsmoke.
Sunk and drowned
with all her knives and jokes.
Sunk and drowned
with all her knives and jokes.
Sleeps so tight
she has a marksman's eye.
Maker's mark
tattoo firewater spine.
Leather shoes
but nowhere to go.
-Will Dockery (words)
Adam's reshuffling & editing of "She Sleeps Tight", which he calls a
She sleeps tight/pastiche
Darkened Salem town leather breeze.
Whiskey scattered shoes in the snow.
Poor boy's stale dirty gun-smoke jokes
wink at time. She keeps her steamboat
drowned copper fumes and knives
stuffed in a jar. Nothing lasts.
Your self turning from wine to water.
Conspired smiles with all her nowhere
coins and goose-chase cold dice.
Anyway, it seems we need to have a uniform standard of judgement as to
when we can justifiably pronounce someone a "plagiarist" & "thief", right?
<snip for brevity>
"Dark passages"
Almost finished, now in final stages of rewrites and recording in the
studio... glad to actually scroll back here, to get a refresher on
where the piece first jumped off from, here's a screenshot of the
working poem/lyric sheet:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=wX#102897660733515052311/posts

(and/or if that link isn't working):

https://picasaweb.google.com/102897660733515052311/DarkPassagesWillDockery#5683811688311484194

"Dark Passages", poem-lyric sheet by Will Dockery used in recording of
song with Shadowville All-Stars Brian Mallard & Jack Snipe, December
2011.
Hieronymous707
2011-12-09 10:17:54 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Add unintelligible to illegible, and you get sum real "Dark Passages".
LOL.
Will Dockery
2011-12-09 17:43:36 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Hopefully the finished product, currently being polished in the
studio, will transcend and transform from that dire strait...

--
Music & poetry:
https://will-dockery-and-friends.soundawesome.com/
Hieronymous707
2011-12-10 08:10:38 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
You could break it up like if you took a break and brought it with you
if you came here for Christmas.
Will Dockery
2011-12-14 15:47:16 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Would truly love to, if it wasn't presently impossible... rain check
for a future year, perhaps?

In fantasy & imagination it already seems to been happening, in
"snapshots" I see, of my version of your reality... if that makes a
lick of sense to you.

--
Under the Radar & other story-song-poems:
https://will-dockery-and-friends.soundawesome.com/
Hieronymous707
2011-12-15 12:02:14 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Under the Radar & other story-song-poems:https://will-dockery-and-friends.soundawesome.com/
Sorry, I don't think I can really offer a rain check for the future. I
barely know what I'm doing now. There's no way I can tell you for sure
where I'll be or what I'll be doing next, or any subsequent year. I'm
not even sure I'll be here, in this group, in this house, in this
body. Life offers only one guarantee; it will pass with time.

As to just a lick of sense, I'll
Send to you this present. Tensile
Strength the length of that you see
Adorning this. A Christmas tree
Like icon I can represent
In rhyme, as I o'pine on scents.
Will Dockery
2011-12-16 01:53:45 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I can sure relate to all that!
Post by Hieronymous707
As to just a lick of sense, I'll
Send to you this present. Tensile
Strength the length of that you see
Adorning this. A Christmas tree
Like icon I can represent
In rhyme, as I o'pine on scents.
Thanks... I'm hoping Santa will bring me one of those vapor bongs I
sampled with Wildman & Bibb City entourage at Hogbottom, makes the
process new and enjoyable.