Lucky Penny / George Dance & Will Dockery project
Will Dockery
2009-11-30 23:27:54 UTC
I wouldn't trade my Penny for
a billion brand-new dollar bills.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
thanks are overdue.
You're my Lucky Penny.
I got lucky with you.
---
George Dance
I found one of the earliest discussions on the "Lucky Penny" collaboration,
all of it almost completely not applicable to the current situation, but
worth a look, and there's some Dennis M. Hammes in his prime, here, as an
additional bonus:

http://www.photography-forums.com/autograph-zorro-dockery-conley-benders-t97189p2.html

And just moving this from the other thread to here, a more appropriate
Intelligent and good for how it says that Lucky and Dan Quayle were
borne of the same cloth.- Hide quoted text -
Explain please.
Working on that, but sending this on, as-is, with more intended to
follow... time permitting, or response prompting.
Hello, Jimmy (Great to see you here, and no, I haven't forgotten our
song collaboration, Life & all that keeps getting me lured away from
the internet... I'm game for it, but I need to also apologize
toGeorgeDance, who is still waiting for me to finish my collaboration
with him, "Lucky Penny"/"Country Woman", from now onto a year or
two...
No biggie. I realized there'd be some holdups. The big one has been
getting one of your music partners to get inspired by it, of course,
when they're too busy working on their own tunes.
Depends on how the piece is presented to them, and the levels that the
piece is working on, and many things like that, and many things not
like that. Real life, the actual working processes, and what jump-kick
the new songs in the first place. Not to mention the fact that in
many, most, some or all of the various collaborations and
partnerships, there are completely (with some crossovers in various
instrumental capacities such as bass, drum, & more icing-on-the-cake
elements such as flute & vocals) different creators involved, with
different agendas & goals, and the only element that is a constant on
"Will Dockery" works is... "Will Dockery".

The quote that applies, and comes up more often than I would sometimes
expect, is:

"Which side are you on?"

"Mine."

"Situations arise, in spite of the weather." -Lou Reed
I finally have the hook, whateverr-it-is, to get that done,George.
That is what I have, and concepts to get it done. Now I need time, and
energy, and the proper players on the board while the tapes are
rolling, to nail it.

And one or two things, which we'll get to directly, I think... see
below, or next post. I'm hoping to have time for some Archive-diving,
or if you have time, assemble some of the past posts, that's where I'm
heading, to get a feel for just how many thoughts I had that might
still be valid. Over 2 years time some are definitely in the past,
some might be rekindled, and sometimes friends are over-rated.

If that makes any sense, which it does from my side of the fence. But
I have some super-strong coffee a wealthy young lady gave me last
night, along with the new Cat Stevens album (recorded under his new
name, which I can't spell properly without peeking, or don't want to
try, or to look right now) as Thanksgiving presents.

"Lucky Penny" lyrics... what was the deal with them, again? The
archives may illuminate a slight problem, or not... may be a hazy
memory misremembered.

It came to me riding shotgun with Brother Dave
behind the
wheel, Julie & Geno in the backseat, darkest dark of blackest pitch-
night in Phenix City, cutting across to the Krystal for coffees & WiFi
from Seale's Woods of Wonder. Krystal is located next to the Village
Green stripmall of crumbling early-1970s vintage, btw, so the smiling
drunkard spirit of Ray Davies -with a hefty shot of Paul Westerberg-
hangs over the area like Jack Rawshanks in The Fog, et cetera...
Hey there Lucky Penny... can I get lucky with you?
and the sweet flute and chick "doo doo doo doo dah doo doo doo doo dah
Who, on the original recording you sent me, is Maureen herself,
singing?
Can I get Lucky?
Can I get Lucky?
Can I get Lucky with you?
That sounds promising.
There are great possibilities, imo, with it... just as written (&
recorded by you & M.) it is a very catchy bit of melody, that I felt
then and still feel, could be pretty nice. See below, maybe, or
above... or the next post. Something like that.
Anyway, back to the response to Jimmy, yes, let's work... will it be
through long-distance file trading? A bit tricky but I think we can
pull it off.)
Stuart, with his DQ & Lucky references, seems to be evoking Peter
O'Toole, the Greybeard Cavalier of LaMancha & his faithful pal Lucky
Sancho, who in the latest incarnation is a pretty little lady in
combat boots from the Green Islands of China... but more on that
later.
Ah, these ideas were taking shape last week but I got sidetracked from
them... I should go back to some of that.

I see the Lucky Penny character emerging there, becoming more & more
real in my mind... which takes it closer to becoming a part of The
Agenda.

Some update questions on "LP/CW" that I know should be archived, but
might help speed the project along, well, one main one, really:

Was there some statement at some point during the work, after I had
taken on the idea of adapting "Lucky Penny"/"Country Woman" that you
didn't want the words or melody tampered with (or changed, adapted)
into something that expands on the actual pieces you originally
created?

I'm writing this backwards, from the top up (a Chinese influence or
something Eastern, maybe) (How Goober, right?) and so I may have asked
that above since I see there's mention of the other creators I work
with, and what may have held up work on "LP/CW" very early on... I'm
going back now for the "lyric sheets" ---yet another hold-up since I
have no printer & so have to make special moves (like asking someone
at least once) to get hardcopy print outs. HC is good about getting
prints of material he specifically has worked with me on, chords,
charts, tabs & words, but as mentioned before, by you, above, this is
almost always exclusively on something he has a direct interest in, ie
"Dockery & Conley" material... but I digress, sort of.

I'll post this and try to get back and communicate what I'm trying to
communicate in a moment, maybe see if I've done that somewhat, yet...
there are about 3-4 aspects that should come together if they can, or
if I have the moving room to get it out there. An opening was shown to
me last night, and it may take some shape if everyone & everything
flows positively to where my vision is going at the moment.
--
"Dream Tears" / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars
Written by Will Dockery & Brian Mallard / Guitar - Brian Mallard /

George Dance
2009-12-01 01:53:09 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Lucky Penny
big snip
Post by Will Dockery
And just moving this from the other thread to here, a more appropriate
another big snip

As Cythera used to say, <snipped for focus>. I'd like to separate out
the creative/business issue you raise here from the rest of the
conversation because I'm too busy (still finishing up Betty, and I
want to repost My Pretty One before the month's over) for a long
conversation; but this issue deserves priority attention. .
Post by Will Dockery
"Lucky Penny" lyrics... what was the deal with them, again? The
archives may illuminate a slight problem, or not... may be a hazy
memory misremembered.
Some update questions on "LP/CW" that I know should be archived, but
Was there some statement at some point during the work, after I had
taken on the idea of adapting "Lucky Penny"/"Country Woman" that you
didn't want the words or melody tampered with (or changed, adapted)
into something that expands on the actual pieces you originally
created?
I asked you to expand Country Wife; it's only 14 lines, with no
chorus, way too short even if you add in two instrumental breaks. I'd
like you to write more lyrics to that (if you don't find the rhyme
scheme and country/tragedy theme too corny to do that). I would like
CW the song to be different from CW the sonnet (even as far as
changing the title to "Country Woman" would be fine).

It's the opposite for Lucky Penny. I'm very proud of the meter and
things llike the internal rhyming "So many guys had passed you by ...
but I knew I just had to try". I was thinking of 50's style music
(like the Crewcuts or whoever sang Standing on the Corner), but with
some style and class. LP isn't Cole Porter, but it's as close as I can
get to that right now.

I'd prefer that you come onto LP as one of the music writers, based on
your hook (which I'm dying to hear BTW).

I do see a couple of places the chorus/refrains can be repeated, to
make it more of a song: once by splitting the second verse, and twice
if you build in an instrumental break. The easiest way to explain that
is to edit it into that form.

As I said, that's what I'd prefer. If you do take it in a different
direction, I won't disown it; being a co-writer of a song is an
impressive bullet point on the resume and all. But what I'd like to
have is a recording of my words.

So, here's my suggested Song edit. [BV] is background vocal only (they
can accompany wherever you think best).

Lucky Penny

Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?

Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
So many guys had passed you by
and left you all alone,
but I knew I just had to try
to pick you up and bring you home.

Chorus 2
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
make my dreams come true.
Be my Lucky Penny.
Let me get lucky with you.
[BV] Let me get lucky,
Let me get lucky,
Let me get lucky with you.

Verse 2 [OR first 4 lines of Verse 2 only]
My luck has changed from that day on,
the good times have been many.
I don't care if my money's gone,
I only need a Penny.
I never had a clue before
that life could hold such thrills.
I wouldn't trade my Penny for
a billion brand-new dollar bills.

[repeat Chorus 1]

[instrumental]

[repeat Chorus 2]

[repeat Verse 2 OR last 4 lines of Verse 2]

[Chorus 3]
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
thanks are overdue.
You're my Lucky Penny.
I got lucky with you.
[BV] I got lucky,
I got lucky,
I got lucky with you
(repeat and fade?)

snip
Post by Will Dockery
I'll post this and try to get back and communicate what I'm trying to
communicate in a moment, maybe see if I've done that somewhat, yet...
there are about 3-4 aspects that should come together if they can, or
if I have the moving room to get it out there. An opening was shown to
me last night, and it may take some shape if everyone & everything
flows positively to where my vision is going at the moment.
Feel free to do whatever you think best for it. I appreciate your
giving it the attention. I won't throw a fit or veto the project or
disown the result if it turns out to be something completely different
from what I've imagined (though if that happens I do reserve the right
to keep trying to get it recorded the way I want).
Harmonica - Gary Frankfurth / Flute - John Joiner / Vocal - Will http://youtu.be/gX035Ybafx4
BLACKPOOLJIMMY
2009-12-01 02:21:51 UTC
Lucky Penny
Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?
Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
[...]
May I?

Have gone over your lyrics several times and something just dawned on
me.
Is this about a hooker or a penny?

Can I get lucky? (laid)
So many guy's passed you by (in an alley)
bring you home
try to pick you up (heavy)?

I am new to this, so please bear with me. Not trying to offend.

Hooker? Penny? Hooker by the name of Penny?

Jim
Will Dockery
2009-12-01 02:39:36 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Lucky Penny
Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?
Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
[...]
That would sure fit the Shadowville mythos pretty neatly, such as:

BLACKPOOLJIMMY
2009-12-01 02:50:19 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Lucky Penny
Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?
Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
[...]
OK.

I'll go with the billion dollar bills.

Can't trust those hookers.

Ask Bukowski:

Will Dockery
2009-12-01 02:57:35 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Lucky Penny
Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?
Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
[...]
quoted text -
OK.
I'll go with the billion dollar bills.
Can't trust those hookers.
http://youtu.be/r1e5Jeh2Fk0
Heh... gotta take Buk's word on it, for sure.

--
"Red Lipped Stranger & other stories" by Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
George Dance
2009-12-01 04:13:17 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Lucky Penny
Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?
Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
[...]
Yes; it has two meanings. I sorta imagine a picture illustrating it;
in the foreground a little boy holding up a shiny penny he's found and
mouthing, "Wow!"; and in the background, more silhouettes than
anything, a john coming on to a hooker.
Will Dockery
2009-12-01 11:44:42 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Lucky Penny
Chorus 1
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
can I get lucky with you?
[BV] Can I get lucky,
can I get lucky,
can I get lucky with you?
Verse 1
I saw you in an alleyway
shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
you were my lucky one.
[...]
But in a lighthearted sort of way, I'm thinking...

Will Dockery
2009-12-01 02:32:04 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Lucky Penny
<Cythera'd for focus>
It's the opposite for Lucky Penny.  I'm very proud of the meter and
things llike the internal rhyming "So many guys had passed you by ...
but I knew I just had to try". I was thinking of 50's style music
(like the Crewcuts or whoever sang Standing on the Corner), but with
This? STANDING ON THE CORNER by The Four Lads 1956:

Do wish old Riley Yielding hadn't faded from the scene, or from active
participation... I'm pretty sure my version won't really be much like
this, though...
some style and class. LP isn't Cole Porter, but it's as close as I can
get to that right now.
Might get as close into the ballpark of Nat King Cole... I'm hoping
for some good piano & some chicks "bahpapaing"...
I'd prefer that you come onto LP as one of the music writers, based on
your hook (which I'm dying to hear BTW).
it mimics the

Can I get lucky?
Can I get lucky?
Can I get lucky with you?

And maybe close, in some way to the "Standing on the Corner" thing,
but really more directly based on the recording you sent me, that
melody, expanded.
I do see a couple of places the chorus/refrains can be repeated, to
make it more of a song: once by splitting the second verse, and twice
if you build in an instrumental break. The easiest way to explain that
is to edit it into that form.
That seems along the lines of what I'm thinking...
As I said, that's what I'd prefer. If you do take it in a different
direction, I won't disown it;
I don't see taking it far, if at all... what you've posted below
should be workable...

Post by Will Dockery
I'll post this and try to get back and communicate what I'm trying to
communicate in a moment, maybe see if I've done that somewhat, yet...
there are about 3-4 aspects that should come together if they can, or
if I have the moving room to get it out there. An opening was shown to
me last night, and it may take some shape if everyone & everything
flows positively to where my vision is going at the moment.
Feel free to do whatever you think best for it. I appreciate your
giving it the attention. I won't throw a fit or veto the project or
disown the result if it turns out to be something completely different
from what I've imagined (though if that happens I do reserve the right
to keep trying to get it recorded the way I want).
More later, things seem to be livening up around here...

--