Rockaria! by ELO - Lyrics at Beginning of Song?
Bee's Knees
2006-04-17 15:08:21 UTC
What is the opera singer singing at the beginning of this song?
Jim Wehner
2006-04-19 14:49:31 UTC
Post by Bee's Knees
What is the opera singer singing at the beginning of this song?
Coincidentally, I've recently introduced this song to my kids (4 yo twins
& a 16 month-old) and my song wants to know what she's singing too.

Anyone have the German lyrics?

Thanks.
Jim

Jim Wehner
2006-04-19 15:05:00 UTC
Post by Jim Wehner
Post by Bee's Knees
What is the opera singer singing at the beginning of this song?
Coincidentally, I've recently introduced this song to my kids (4 yo twins
& a 16 month-old) and my song wants to know what she's singing too.
Anyone have the German lyrics?
Thanks.
Jim
That should read "my son" - Adam, to be specific - a really cool 4
year-old.
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-21 01:02:42 UTC
Post by Jim Wehner
Post by Jim Wehner
Anyone have the German lyrics?
Thanks.
Jim
That should read "my son" - Adam, to be specific - a really cool 4
year-old.
Yes, I know the type. :{]

I had one of those critters, myself, and an 11-year-old son ("step-son" — psssh, just "son"), at the time, both cool and brilliant. Still are, at 28 and 35. Yikes. 𝑇𝑒𝑚𝑝𝑢𝑠 𝑓𝑢𝑔𝑖𝑡!

I doubt you'll ever read this, 11 years after posting, but I had to chip in my paternal accordance. I'm sure someone, somewhere, sometime will relate to it, as I did.

Cheers from Toronto.

// 'Word' //

.
R H Draney
2006-04-19 15:48:22 UTC
Post by Jim Wehner
Post by Bee's Knees
What is the opera singer singing at the beginning of this song?
Coincidentally, I've recently introduced this song to my kids (4 yo twins
& a 16 month-old) and my song wants to know what she's singing too.
Anyone have the German lyrics?
Are we even sure they're German?...

I have a hunch we're going to find out it's like the "man selling ice cream,
singing Italian songs" in "Saturday in the Park", or the closing theme to "WKRP
in Cincinatti"....r
We are the parents our people warned us about.
jt
2006-04-19 16:47:46 UTC
She's singing nonsense.

I have the sheet music, and for those bars of music, it has no lyrics,
just the (hilarious) instruction: "Simulate Foreign Language"!
Jim
Jim Wehner
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-21 01:12:34 UTC
Post by jt
She's singing nonsense.
I have the sheet music, and for those bars of music, it has no lyrics,
just the (hilarious) instruction: "Simulate Foreign Language"!
Evidently, they decided against that option.

The lyric, as I remember it (I'm sure someone's reply that I haven't read, yet, has it exactly, after 11 years!) is:

"Fern... fern in die Ferngeness (?)
Man hört, man hört die Musik..."

["Far, far in the distance, one hears, one hears the/some music", or loosely, "music is heard"]

... echoing Jeff's semi-sung, semi-shouted line,

"Ah, far, far away
the music
is playing..."

// Steve //

.
t***@googlemail.com
2016-04-12 13:49:52 UTC
She is singing : Weit in die Ferne , man hört, man hört die Musik 😉
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-21 01:27:31 UTC
Post by t***@googlemail.com
She is singing : Weit in die Ferne , man hört, man hört die Musik 😉
Belated thanks to you, and to Timo.

Ich spreche Deutsch nicht gut, und "evidentlich" ich habe das "gefucketupen".

Yeah, being a Canadian of Irish/English background, and a lover of language, familiar with Old English and Old Norse a bit, and modern Dutch some, and West Germanic language, among others, I just make it up as I go along. :{]

I don't make up •plausible• words, but they work for me. And if you can't please everybody, why not have a little fun for yourself, once in a while? Nicht wahr?

// Steve in Toronto //

.

Timo Heil
2006-05-01 11:31:32 UTC
Post by Bee's Knees
What is the opera singer singing at the beginning of this song?
Hi,

found this on a lyrics site which makes sense to me as a native German
speaker (though the belcanto singing is not quite clear):

"Weit ..oops .. weit hinein in die Ferne
man hört, man hört die Musik"

Which is German and means something like:

Far.....oops ;-)....in the far distance one can hear (one can hear) the
music playing.

Regards,
Timo
Jim Wehner
2006-05-01 19:54:08 UTC
I like that answer better. Thanks, Timo.
:-)
Jim

1/2 German ancestry, but Ich spreche deutsch nicht (that's just a guess -
sorry if I mangled it)
t***@googlemail.com
2016-04-12 13:51:19 UTC