Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2012-05-05 03:10:49 UTC
Refusal to rhyme let us note
Not at all, I rhyme often, just not much of your Limerick crap.

Here's a rhyming one of mine, "Gone Too Far":

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860

Gone Too Far

There's a wind from Russia
blowing over Alaska way.
Old man in the big house
won't have it any other way.

He say
"Da da da,
they've gone too far..."

People are worried---
wondering where they'll hide.
Dark forces at work.
illuminating the night.

The ladies dance the Maypole
across the divide.
Banks are a'falling
while I stand in line.

He say
"Da da da,
they've gone too far..."
People at the shelter---
they're working real hard.

Time waits for no man
but it stands stock still for me.
Dark forces at work
in levels of history.

Big bear come a'stomping
and he's coming for you.
He's on the phone with the Devil
and he wants what's due.

-Will Dockery
Fred Hall
2012-05-05 03:15:32 UTC
On Fri, 4 May 2012 20:10:49 -0700 (PDT), Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Obvious Dylan influence. Nothing wrong with that.
-Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2012-05-05 03:25:45 UTC
On Fri, 4 May 2012 20:10:49 -0700 (PDT), Will Dockery wrote in
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Post by Will Dockery
-Will Dockery
Catch the little *Jangly* R.E.M.-Byrds-Knopfler riff in Jack Snipe's
guitar?
Fred Hall
2012-05-05 05:01:32 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
-Will Dockery
Catch the little *Jangly* R.E.M.-Byrds-Knopfler riff in Jack Snipe's
guitar?
Yes, but...

The guitar work sounded a bit rushed. The lead was fine, but the
rhythm was a bit too busy for my taste.
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-05 10:41:37 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
-Will Dockery
Catch the little *Jangly* R.E.M.-Byrds-Knopfler riff in Jack Snipe's
guitar?
Yes, but...
The guitar work sounded a bit rushed.  The lead was fine, but the
rhythm was a bit too busy for my taste.
I'd blame the lousy sound mix before I'd blame the guitarist. Poor
engineering fucks up the listener's focus. Will has been cursed by
poor sound engineers for years. They don't communicate/translate well
what Will is able to do in live performance which is entertain. If
you're focus is distracted by busy guitar playing, then you're not
getting something. You're not thoroughly enjoying the piece or the
excitement of the performance. The players are all adequate musicians
fully capable of thoroughly enjoying themselves. So if you're not
sharing their enjoyment then something must've been lost in the mix,
so blame the mix. Sound engineering is a technical art, and an aspect
of the music business that Will has never fully understood or
appreciated.
Will Dockery
2012-05-06 18:24:20 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Will Dockery wrote in
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Well yeah, most of the work is still so far designated a "rough
drafts".
Irkin Invader Zim
2012-05-12 03:50:04 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous 707
Will Dockery wrote in
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Everything you do is a "rough draft"
You should enlist in the army
You'd make a great human grenade
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-12 23:22:42 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous 707
never fully understood or
appreciated.
Well yeah
No comment
Will Dockery
2012-05-07 22:12:44 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Fred Hall
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
No, I've bever claimed to be a soundman, and 99% of the shows I
perform have no soundman... the soundboard is set up reasonably well
and then it has to remain that way for the duration.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Hieronymous 707
no comment.
Irkin Invader Zim
2012-05-12 03:51:15 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Fred Hall
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
- or rich
- or wise
- or sober
- or intelligent
- or have any common sense
- or any humility
- or have any self-respecct
Post by Will Dockery
and 99% of the shows I
perform have no soundman...
What does that tell you, Dockery?
Post by Will Dockery
the soundboard is set up reasonably well
and then it has to remain that way for the duration.
You really need to choke to death on a pretzel while trying to do
karaoke
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 13:02:14 UTC
Post by Irkin Invader Zim
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
[...]
Post by Will Dockery
the soundboard is set up reasonably well
and then it has to remain that way for the duration.
You really need to choke to death on a pretzel while trying to do
karaoke
Now *that's* what we call Usenet poetry critique!

Welcome back, Dink!

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
"we"? LOL. no comment.
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 13:41:06 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far
There's a wind from Russia
blowing over Alaska way.
Old man in the big house
won't have it any other way.
He says
[...]
Sure... the Royal We, pal.

Look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_plural

"The majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis/majestatis in Latin,
literally, "the plural of majesty," maiestatis being in the genitive
case), is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person
holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, or pope. It is also
called the royal pronoun, the royal "we" or the Victorian "we". The
more general word for the use of we to refer to oneself is nosism,
from the Latin nos.[1] It is most commonly used to denote the
excellence, power, and dignity of the person that speaks or writes.In
pluralis maiestatis a speaker refers to her- or himself using a
grammatical number other than the singular (i.e., in plural or, where
attested, dual form)..."

But you're a "smart guy", so obviously you already knoew that...
right?

Heh.

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 14:56:51 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]

The Royal We... look it up.

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-12 17:14:17 UTC
"Royal We"? LOL. no comment
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 17:58:25 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
"That's-a Right-on." -James Collier

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-12 18:20:23 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
No Collier. No royalty. No we. No comment. No point. No value added.
Just pure Will Dockery.

no comment.
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 19:07:14 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
they've gone too far..."
People at the shelter---
they're working real hard.
Time waits for no man
but it stands stock still for me.
Dark forces at work
in levels of history.
Big bear come a'stomping
and he's coming for you.
He's on the phone with the Devil
and he wants what's due.
He says
"Da da da,
they've gone too far..."
People are worried---
wondering where they'll hide.
Dark forces at work.
across the divide.
-Will Dockery
<snip Hi gibberish>
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
"That's-a Right-on." -James Collier
No Collier.
Sorry but you have no control over Collier, pal.
Post by Hieronymous 707
No royalty. No we. No comment. No point. No value added.
The story of your life in a nutshell, Mr. Gobbledegook.
Post by Hieronymous 707
Just pure Will Dockery.
And *that*, as James Collier would say, is a-right-on.

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-12 19:14:21 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
No Collier. No royalty. No we. No comment. No point. No value added.
The story of my life in a nutshell, Just pure Will Dockery.
And *that*, as James Collier would say, is a-
no comment.
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 19:36:40 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
no comment.
So why bother to respond?
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-12 20:42:06 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous 707
no comment.
So why bother to respond?
no comment.
c***@windstream.net
2012-05-12 20:34:55 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Duckery if you tried to pull that crap in the UK you would be
sentenced to death.
Will Dockery
2012-05-22 17:11:22 UTC
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12951962

I came across a nice version of "Last Dream Today", written by Will
Dockery & Brian Mallard, but not certain of who all the players on
this are. Obviously Henry Conley's guitar but otherwise not sure. Does
that seem like you or Derundo Jenkins, John Phillips? Seems like Sandy
Madaris on backing vocals..? Quite a mystery track from The
Shadowville All-Stars archives.
-Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2012-05-08 14:25:29 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
no comment.
That would more correctly be "no other comments" since you've already
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Post by Will Dockery
-Will Dockery
<...>
And thanks again for reading & commenting.
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-08 14:29:50 UTC
no comment.
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 22:06:27 UTC
Agreed, it was pretty funny.
No comment.
--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-12 22:12:29 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Agreed, it was pretty funny.
No comment.
Good, at least we agree on something.
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 22:51:21 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Good, at least we agree on something.
That's happened from time-to-time.

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2012-05-12 21:53:52 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Dockery if you tried to pull that crap in the UK you would be
sentenced to death.
That's the most silly statement you've written all day, Dink.
--
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
Agreed, it was pretty funny.
c***@windstream.net
Unlike Duckery, who just plain sucks.
Hieronymous 707
Will is often much funnier than you and he doesn't even have to try.
Irkin Invader Zim
2012-05-13 16:43:53 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by c***@windstream.net
Post by Will Dockery
The Royal We... look it up.
Dockery if you tried to pull that crap in the UK you would be
sentenced to death.
That's the most silly statement you've written all day, Dink.
Agreed, it was pretty funny.
Unlike Duckery, who just plain sucks.
Will is often much funnier than you and he doesn't even have to try.
Will is funnier than people in that "drunken idiot who is completely
clueless" sense.
His only redeeming quality is that people can look at him and go "Gee,
I'm glad I'm not THAT guy."
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-13 17:16:17 UTC
Post by Irkin Invader Zim
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by c***@windstream.net
Post by Will Dockery
The Royal We... look it up.
Dockery if you tried to pull that crap in the UK you would be
sentenced to death.
That's the most silly statement you've written all day, Dink.
Agreed, it was pretty funny.
Unlike Duckery, who just plain sucks.
Will is often much funnier than you and he doesn't even have to try.
Will is funnier than people in that "drunken idiot who is completely
clueless" sense.
His only redeeming quality is that people can look at him and go "Gee,
I'm glad I'm not THAT guy."
The old fall back drunk excuse for his lack of success won't work
anymore because Will doesn't drink anymore. He has new excuses now.
His redeeming quality is that he is personable and good intentioned.
He has never been very successful at anything he's done in life in the
conventional sense of the word success, but he is personable and good
intentioned, so he has plethora of casual friends and acquaintances,
although again, he's never been good at building successful business
or personal relationships either, so he doesnt have much money and
even fewer personal confidants. Believe me, I tried. Will apparently
has a deep seated personal thing against being successful, and a
personal resentment for others who he perceives as more successful
than him. And you're absolutely correct, nobody wants to be the guy
stuck playing out old resentments over and over again. Of course we
all do it because we're human, which makes Quasimodo type characters
like Will so easy to poke fun and laugh at. Thank God for writers like
Victor Hugo.
Irkin Invader Zim
2012-05-13 18:17:26 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Irkin Invader Zim
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by c***@windstream.net
Post by Will Dockery
The Royal We... look it up.
Dockery if you tried to pull that crap in the UK you would be
sentenced to death.
That's the most silly statement you've written all day, Dink.
Agreed, it was pretty funny.
Unlike Duckery, who just plain sucks.
Will is often much funnier than you and he doesn't even have to try.
Will is funnier than people in that "drunken idiot who is completely
clueless" sense.
His only redeeming quality is that people can look at him and go "Gee,
I'm glad I'm not THAT guy."
The old fall back drunk excuse for his lack of success won't work
anymore because Will doesn't drink anymore.
It was more of a comparison than anything else; however, given the
nature of his "poems," I find this claim difficult to believe.
If anything, Duckery is into some heavy drugs to put out the crap that
he calls "poetry."
Post by Hieronymous 707
He has new excuses now.
Stupidity, ignorance, self-centeredness and overall douchebaggery?

Or did he just eat a moldy slice of pizza?

Maybe he can blame his "poems" on Mad Cow Disease.
Post by Hieronymous 707
His redeeming quality is that
...people can look at him and say 'God, I'm glad I'm not him.'
Post by Hieronymous 707
he is personable and good intentioned.
"personable" and "good intentioned" aren't exactly words I would use
to describe the Despot Duckery.
Post by Hieronymous 707
He has never been very successful at anything he's done in life
He has been about as successful as a Stormtrooper at a shooting range.
Post by Hieronymous 707
in the
conventional sense of the word success, but he is personable and good
intentioned, so he has plethora of casual friends and acquaintances,
So does Emmett Gulley.
Post by Hieronymous 707
although again, he's never been good at building successful business
or personal relationships either, so he doesnt have much money and
even fewer personal confidants.
Duckery would be better off finding work as a cartoon character.
Post by Hieronymous 707
and a
personal resentment for others who he perceives as more successful
than him.
He's an ignorant douchebag.
Victor Hugo would kick Duckery in the groin and spit on him.
Will Dockery
2012-05-13 18:22:40 UTC
Post by Irkin Invader Zim
Post by Hieronymous 707
The old fall back drunk excuse for his lack of success won't work
anymore because Will doesn't drink anymore.
It was more of a comparison than anything else; however, given the
nature of his "poems," I find this claim difficult to believe.
And what you "believe" matters... how?

--
"Wobble" / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12951892
Will Dockery
2012-05-13 17:28:48 UTC
Post by Irkin Invader Zim
Will is funnier than people in that "drunken idiot who is completely
clueless" sense.
His only redeeming quality is that people can look at him and go "Gee,
I'm glad I'm not THAT guy."
Dink, do you think because you've stayed away from these newsgroups
for a while that people have forgotten what a trainwreck of a person
*you* are?

'Nuff said... heh.

Hieronymous 707
Nuffin said. Again.
Will Dockery

Hieronymous 707
That's the royal we we know. no comment.
Will Dockery
2012-05-13 17:53:00 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
"We know."
That's the royal we we know. no comment.
King Hammes, as we discussed a bit previously.

Hieronymous 707
2012-05-13 18:34:31 UTC
Your King. My friend. Big difference, we know.
Will Dockery
2012-05-14 04:50:02 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Post by Will Dockery
King Hammes, as we discussed a bit previously.
Your King. My friend. Big difference, we know.
I'll remind you here that there seems to be no evidence that you and
Hammes were anywhere close to being "friends"... but if it makes you
feel good to make the claim, who am I to spoil your delusion?

Hieronymous 707
butt ... no comment.
Will Dockery
2012-05-24 06:28:43 UTC
Interesting songwriting/recording session for The Shadowville All-
Stars today with Brian Mallard, the rough draft to "Cactus Flower
Illusion" words & music ready for Jack Snipe production/embellishment
Sunday evening.

Taking it out on a Moonlight Mile now to see how the sound holds up so
far. "If you see me, say hello..."

http://www.reverbnation.com/shadowvilleallstars

-Will Dockery
Mike Duffy
2012-05-13 02:14:21 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Refusal to rhyme let us note
Not at all, I rhyme often, just not much of your Limerick crap.
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far
Gone Too Far

(6) There's a wind from Russia
(7) blowing over Alaska way.
(6) Old man in the big house
(7) won't have it any other way.

(5) He say: "Da da da,
(4) they've gone too far..."

(5) People are worried---
(6) wondering where they'll hide.
(4) Dark forces at work.
(7) illuminating the night.

(7) The ladies dance the Maypole
(4) across the divide.
(5) Banks are a'falling
(5) while I stand in line.

(5) He say: "Da da da,
(4) they've gone too far..."
(6) People at the shelter---
(5) they're working real hard.

(5) Time waits for no man
(7) but it stands stock still for me.
(5) Dark forces at work
(7) in levels of history.

(6) Big bear come a'stomping
(6) and he's coming for you.
(8) He's on the phone with the Devil
(5) and he wants what's due.

(5) He say: "Da da da,
(4) they've gone too far..."

(5) People are worried---
(6) wondering where they'll hide.
(5) Dark forces at work.
(5) across the divide.

-Will Dockery

You can't use a word as a rhyme to itself ("way").

The syllable count (which I have added in parenthesis) shows insufficient
consistency. You need to pick a scanning rule and stick to it.

You are only rhyming the 2nd & 4th line. A bit more effort needs go into
rhyming the 1st & 3rd lines. What I have done is not what I usually
consider proper (like rhyming "awaken" with "Satan"), but I did not want
to change the semantics nor spend any more time.

I did not know the musical metric, so I just picked 6 & 5 syllables
arbitrarily. If that does not fit your music, you will need to re-work
it.

The Russian wind it blows,
Through Alaskan spray.
Old man in the big house
Wants it just this way.

And he says: "Da da da,
Now they've gone too far"

The people they are scared,
Wond'ring where they'll hide.
Dark forces have been bared
'cross the blue divide.

Ladies dance the Maypole,
'cross the Bering Strait.
Banks they are in free fall,
while I stand and wait.

And he says: "Da da da,
Now they've gone too far"
People at the shelter,
Working really hard.

Time, it waits for no-one,
But it's still for me.
Dark forces a-growin',
Through our history.

Big bear will awaken,
Coming here for you.
On the phone with Satan.
Asking for his due.

And he says: "Da da da,
Now they've gone too far."

The people they are scared,
Wond'ring where they'll hide.
Dark forces have been bared
'cross the blue divide.
http://pages.videotron.ca/duffym/index.htm
Will Dockery
2012-05-13 18:13:24 UTC
Will Dockery wrote in news:985ffcd2-3632-48f2-
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
<snip for focus>
[...]
Okay Mike... but you seem clueless about the fact that the lines I
wrote are written to a melody (see link) and your rewrite doesn't fit
that well at all:

"Gone Too Far" / Will Dockery:

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860

Nice try, though, I reckon.

Hieronymous 707
2012-05-13 18:45:34 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
LOL. He's far from clueless. You specifically snipped the part where
Mike said he didn't know the musical metric. What does nice try mean?
What do you reckon Mike was trying to do, Will, besides show you how
you might improve on your work? It took time to do what he did for
you, little that it was. This is the level of appreciation you show?
Get a good look at yourself here, Will. This is you at your self-
centered, ungrateful best. Oh happy day. Now, turn this around and
tell me how I'm such a rotten so and so for shoving you in your own
face.
Irkin Invader Zim
2012-05-12 03:48:57 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
That was the worst butchering of the English language since Snookie's
autobiography.
I have an urge to slap you now.
Will Dockery
2012-05-15 05:09:38 UTC
Post by Hieronymous 707
Mike was trying to
show you how
you might improve on your work
Maybe so, and I appreciate his effort. Unfortunately his rewrite was
stilted, lacked the flow and would be impossible to sing to the
melody.

Plus, Mike writes in a style that is nowhere close to what I try to
always capture, which is the "coversational" style of natural
language... all of which Mike does seem to be clueless about. No
surprise that you'd miss that.

Actually, "Gone Too Far" only requires a few minor changes imo, but
Post by Hieronymous 707
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860
Gone Too Far
There's a wind from Russia
blowing over Alaska bay.
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery
Hieronymous 707
2012-05-15 15:07:03 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous 707
Mike was trying to
show you how
you might improve on your work
Maybe so, and I appreciate his effort. Unfortunately his rewrite was
stilted, lacked the flow and would be impossible to sing to the
melody.
Plus, Mike writes in a style that is nowhere close to what I try to
always capture, which is the "coversational" style of natural
language... all of which Mike does seem to be clueless about. No
surprise that you'd miss that.
Actually, "Gone Too Far" only requires a few minor changes imo, but
"Maybe" suggests tentativeness and mistrust in this instance. It
doesn't appear that you really do appreciate his effort. His "rewrite"
was written, not sung. You never gave it a proper hearing. Plus, you
continue to call Mike clueless. That indicates disrespect. Mike is NOT
clueless, and IS very conversational, but he's a frickin CANADIAN. You
gotta cut him some slack for that. They just talk diff'ernt, and
cain't help themselves, "Ay"?

So, what exactly is it that you're not surprised I missed? I'd really
like to know. All 'Gone Too Far' needs is a few "better", which is to
say more well established 'sonic flourishes' in your delivery, (I
couldn't care less what words you use. It's the meme that matters.)
and a good sound mix by somebody who really knows what the fuck
they're doing, which most DEFINITELY ISN'T YOU. You simply haven't the
knowledge base or technical aptitude and interest. I can help you with
the sonic thing if you want, but you have to stop insulting me and
learn to appreciate what I do here.