REQ: "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down"
h***@gmail.com
2014-07-02 03:14:52 UTC
I found a wonderful MIDI arrangement of this some time ago (you probably
know it better as the Looney Tunes theme), and the tune has been running
through my head all day. It occurred to me that if the song does have
lyrics, one of the folk mavens out here like Joe Bethancourt may be able
to set me straight ("Brother, can you spare a clue?")
Of course I checked out Digital Tradition, several self-proclaimed lyrics
archives, and did web searches via Infoseek and Webcrawler before coming
here.
Any takers?
pbs
bass, "Harmonically Challenged" barbershop quartet
where did you find this midi transcription? I've been looking for it forever
Harold Groot
2014-07-07 09:49:40 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
I found a wonderful MIDI arrangement of this some time ago (you probably
know it better as the Looney Tunes theme), and the tune has been running
through my head all day. It occurred to me that if the song does have
lyrics, one of the folk mavens out here like Joe Bethancourt may be able
to set me straight ("Brother, can you spare a clue?")
Of course I checked out Digital Tradition, several self-proclaimed lyrics
archives, and did web searches via Infoseek and Webcrawler before coming
here.
Any takers?
pbs
bass, "Harmonically Challenged" barbershop quartet
where did you find this midi transcription? I've been looking for it forever
You find things in the strangest places. Like, say, The Grateful
Dead.... From
http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/MERRYGOR.HTM

The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down Tuning
Lyrics: Cliff Friend, Dave Franklin
Music: Cliff Friend, Dave Franklin

Played by the Grateful Dead as a 'tuning' jam between songs.

The original had lyrics:

Oh, the merry-go-round broke down
As we went 'round and 'round
Each time 'twould miss we'd steal a kiss
While the merry-go-round went

Um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah
Um-pah, um-pah, um-pah-pah

Oh, the merry-go-round broke down