WANTED: Songs with count-ins
Jim Webster
2006-10-18 22:56:25 UTC

I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."

Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)

TIA,
Jim
dickydoo
2006-10-18 23:08:58 UTC
Wooly Bully,
jon
2006-10-18 23:55:18 UTC
There is only one.
Matthias Knoche
2006-10-19 00:55:19 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in?
A Song in German:
Nina Hagen - Auf'm Bahnhof Zoo
real punk sounding german count-in
Mark Rae
2006-10-19 00:07:24 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in?
Pink Floyd - Free Four
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers (album version)
Mark Rae
2006-10-19 10:20:15 UTC
Velvet Underground - After Hours
Invisible Friend
2006-10-20 11:36:01 UTC
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:20:15 GMT, "Mark Rae"
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Mark Rae
Pink Floyd - Free Four
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers (album version)
Velvet Underground - After Hours
Billy Joel - A Matter of Trust
Invisible Friend
Dave Watson
2006-10-19 00:58:52 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
If you're looking for unusual count-ins:

* Negativland--"Car Bomb" ("3, 2, 1, 0!", which recurs throughout the song)
* John Lennon--"Nobody Told Me" ("Ein, zwei, hickle, fickle!")
* Boredoms--"Telehorse Uma" (starts with several of the members
hesitantly saying "1, 2, 3, 4" in odd voices and different tempi all
together, which is then cut by one of them screeching it at high speed)
* Boredoms--"Pop Kiss" (opens with all the members chanting "1, 2, 3, 4"
four times, which kicks into a short freeform song that doesn't follow
any tempo)
* Wire--"12XU" (part announcing the song, part counting it in)
* Big Black counted off songs live with "1, 2, 1, 2, fuck you!"
* Peter Gabriel--"Games Without Frontier" ("1, 2, 1, 2, 4")
* Boss Hog counts in a song with "1, 2, fuck school!"
* The The--"I've Been Waiting For Tomorrow (All My Life)" (opens with a
tape of a NASA rocket launch countdown, with the number 7 edited out for
some reason)
* Queens of the Stone Age--"I Was A Teenage Hand Model" ("1, 2, 5, 9")
* Def Leppard--"Rock of Ages" ("Unten lieden louten loben!")
* Joy Division--"Warsaw (original version)" ("3-5-0-1-2-5 Go!" 31G
350125 was the PoW serial number assigned to Rudolf Hess after his capture.)

OK, to be fair, I nicked a lot of the above from this:
http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=2118748
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Stretcher CD-R--sevcom.com)
Frezier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf[at]ncf[dot]ca
Kill worms!! http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/
Rich Ardini
2006-10-19 01:31:53 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Wilson Pickett: Land Of 1000 Dances
Gary US Bonds: Quarter To Three
George Harrison: Ding Dong, Ding Dong
Joan Jett: Do You Wanna Touch
Frosty
2006-10-19 03:14:54 UTC
I downloaded new messages from alt.music.lyrics on Wed, 18 Oct 2006
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
Jim\
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
"Fish Cheer" by Country Joe and the Fish.
R H Draney
2006-10-19 06:18:52 UTC
Post by Frosty
I downloaded new messages from alt.music.lyrics on Wed, 18 Oct 2006
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
Jim\
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
"Fish Cheer" by Country Joe and the Fish.
If it does count, two other internal count-ins, both in German:

"H-A-T-R-E-D" by Tonio K
"Hi Hi Puffy Amiyumi Show Theme" by Puffy Amiyumi

I used to annoy my ballroom dance teachers by counting off "two, seven,
twelve"....r
--
"Keep your eye on the Bishop. I want to know when
he makes his move", said the Inspector, obliquely.
Mark Rae
2006-10-19 10:55:55 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Frosty
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
If it does count
Genesis - Turn It On Again
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Frank Zappa - Flakes
Peter Hammill - Open Your Eyes
The Beatles - A Day In The Life
Jim Webster
2006-10-19 16:38:44 UTC
On 10/19/06 3:55 AM, in article
Post by Mark Rae
Post by R H Draney
Post by Frosty
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
If it does count
Genesis - Turn It On Again
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Frank Zappa - Flakes
Peter Hammill - Open Your Eyes
The Beatles - A Day In The Life
Wow, A Day In the Life's is subtle...it comes right before "woke up, got out
of bed" and is for just one count. Though it's in the middle of the song,
since it starts a new section, I'll count (so to speak) this one...
Mark Rae
2006-10-19 16:49:06 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Wow, A Day In the Life's is subtle...it comes right before "woke up, got out
of bed" and is for just one count.
In fact, immediately before that, you can just make out George Martin
keeping count of the bars for the orchestra who, of course, had no music to
play... :-)
jon
2006-10-19 10:40:40 UTC
That's the one.
Frosty
2006-10-19 13:16:57 UTC
I downloaded new messages from alt.music.lyrics on Thu, 19 Oct 2006
What do I win?
jon
I don't care; I don't give a damn.
Bill Marcum
2006-10-19 20:14:23 UTC
Post by jon
Post by Frosty
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
"Fish Cheer" by Country Joe and the Fish.
That's the one.
What do I win?
I don't care; I don't give a damn.
Next stop is Vietnam.
Biology grows on you.
Frosty
Well, I didn't want a damn anyway.
jon
2006-10-19 22:43:06 UTC
Post by jon
I don't care; I don't give a damn.
Well, I didn't want a damn anyway.
Hmmm. I might have to rope in my 13 yr old daughter to continue this
threadlette

She is *so* not bovvered
Jim Webster
2006-10-19 16:34:49 UTC
Post by Frosty
I downloaded new messages from alt.music.lyrics on Wed, 18 Oct 2006
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
Jim\
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
"Fish Cheer" by Country Joe and the Fish.
In this case, the "1-2-3-4" is part of the song lyrics, not the count-in.
Sorry.
Frosty
2006-10-19 22:31:59 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Post by Frosty
I downloaded new messages from alt.music.lyrics on Wed, 18 Oct 2006
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
Jim\
Does it *count* if it's somewhere in the middle of the song?
"Fish Cheer" by Country Joe and the Fish.
In this case, the "1-2-3-4" is part of the song lyrics, not the count-in.
Sorry.
Damn. <---hey there's that damn I didn't want.
OK, how 'bout "Hello It's Me" by Todd Rungren?

Frosty
Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
jack
2006-10-19 03:36:39 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in?
(Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
Turn It On Again Genesis
Post by Jim Webster
TIA,
Jim
Randall Post
2006-10-19 08:58:14 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
Jim
1-2-3 by Len Barry (not really a 'count-in', since a count-in alerts the
musicians so they can start together)
http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=cKUqrLz1ZXg%3D
Blue Oval
"Goodnight Vienna"-Ringo Starr
a***@hotmail.com
2006-10-19 15:07:20 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
Jim
Prince -- Raspberry Beret
New Radicals -- You Get What You Give

--
Allen Kirshner
(the alt.music.lyrics TV theme guy)
R H Draney
2006-10-19 15:25:40 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in. So far I've found several Beatles songs that do this ("I
Saw Her Standing There", "Sgt. Pepper's LHCB reprise", "Yer Blues",
"Taxman"), plus U2's notorious "uno dos tres quatorze", and ELO's "Four
Little Diamonds."
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
A non-verbal count-in appears on Nilsson's "Coconut"...instead of numbers, Harry
establishes the beat by muttering "zuh, zuh, zuh, zuh"....r
jIM
2006-10-19 20:06:47 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in? (Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
TIA,
I have an album called "stairway to heaven/highway to hell" which
includes remakes and live versions of songs of bands with people which
died. I THINK the following songs have count ins:

Anarchy in the UK (Motley Crue)
there is a live version of song on same album, Vince Neil is singing,
but I don't remember song (Hounddog?)
jon
2006-10-19 20:30:50 UTC
JJ Cale - Call me the Breeze
Mathilda Jane
2006-10-20 14:09:24 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in?
(Unfortunately,
most lyrics sites don't include these as part of the song lyrics)
A couple that I did not see mentioned so far:

Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

MJ
Mark Rae
2006-10-20 14:57:26 UTC
Doesn't that start with Ron saying something like "Turn it up..."?
Mathilda Jane
2006-10-20 17:00:49 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Mathilda Jane
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Doesn't that start with Ron saying something like "Turn it up..."?
That part comes after the 1, 2, 3. Listen close, you'll hear it.

MJ
Steffen Buehler
2006-10-20 15:09:19 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Can you think of any other songs that start with a count-in?
Still not mentioned:

Yes - Going for the one
Peter Gabriel - Waiting for the big one
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Jeremy Bender
Pink Floyd - Waiting for the worms

Regards
Steffen
Mark Rae
2006-10-20 17:06:50 UTC
Post by Steffen Buehler
Yes - Going for the one
Peter Gabriel - Waiting for the big one
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Jeremy Bender
Pink Floyd - Waiting for the worms
<hangs head in shame>

I *really* should have got those...
t***@yahoo.com
2006-10-20 17:42:52 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Steffen Buehler
Yes - Going for the one
Peter Gabriel - Waiting for the big one
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Jeremy Bender
Pink Floyd - Waiting for the worms
<hangs head in shame>
I *really* should have got those...
I'm shocked that no one's mentioned anything by The Ramones yet.

Others...

Motorhead - R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
AC/DC - Go Down
Van Halen - Finish What Ya Started
Sammy Hagar - Mas Tequila!
The Rugburns - Dick's Automotive
Tom Waits - Gun Street Girl
Monty Python - Eric The Half-A-Bee Song

-B.
rblask
2006-10-23 19:19:33 UTC
Hi,
go to http://lyricsfly.com/lyrics/ and type in one two three four... it
comes up with over 100 titles with those lyrics in them.
Jim Webster
2006-10-26 07:06:44 UTC
Whoa, that was fun!

In case you missed the thread, I've been looking up songs with
count-ins--usually as "one two three four" but sometimes done in different
languages or in other creative ways. I got an EXCELLENT response, put
together a playlist of 38 songs on iTunes, and then took it a step further:
I copied & saved clips of the count-ins from each song, played them together
and audio hijacked them into one "song" that's slightly under 3 minutes
long.

The file is on my web site: copy and paste the following into your browser
(remove NOSPAM first):

http://www.mindspring.com/~jsibleywebsterNOSPAM/Play/AllCountIn.mp3

Can you identify every song sampled, in the right order? (hint: they were
all mentioned in this newsgroup),

Have Fun and Damn the Attorneys,
Jim
Randall Post
2006-10-29 11:12:27 UTC
Post by Jim Webster
Whoa, that was fun!
In case you missed the thread, I've been looking up songs with
count-ins--usually as "one two three four" but sometimes done in different
languages or in other creative ways. I got an EXCELLENT response, put
I copied & saved clips of the count-ins from each song, played them together
and audio hijacked them into one "song" that's slightly under 3 minutes
long.
The file is on my web site: copy and paste the following into your browser
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsibleywebsterNOSPAM/Play/AllCountIn.mp3
Can you identify every song sampled, in the right order? (hint: they were
all mentioned in this newsgroup),
Have Fun and Damn the Attorneys,
Jim
To borrow from John Lennon in the song "Get Back", I'd like to say 'thank you'
on behalf of the alt.music.lyrics newsgroup, and you passed the audition.

Randall
Donnie
Mike Meyer
2006-10-29 12:51:03 UTC
Hi,
Soul Asylum - Misery
Mike Meyer
2006-10-29 12:56:35 UTC
Hi,
Belinda Carlisle - Shot in the Dark
SRS
2006-10-30 11:38:45 UTC
Hi,
Steve Forbert - Sure Was Better BAck Then.
Dave Watson
2006-10-30 15:31:41 UTC
Post by SRS
Post by Jim Webster
Hi,
I'm doing a playlist of songs that start with a "one two three four" (or
similar) count-in.
Steve Forbert - Sure Was Better BAck Then.
I forgot one of my favourite countoffs: Blondie's "Living in the Real
World," win which somebody emits eight rhythmic karate shouts in a
reverby room before screaming out "waaaaaaaaaan twooooooooooo
waantwoothreefooo!", which then slams into the fastest song on the _Eat
to the Beat_ album.
p***@yahoo.com
2006-11-02 13:53:59 UTC
For the record, the studio version of Steve Forbert's "It Sure Was
Better Back Then" (from his great album Mission of the Crossroad Palms)
does not start with any count in...it's starts directly with the guitar
riff featured throughout the song.

How about the "2, 3, 4" of Springsteen's "Bobby Jean" from Born in the
USA?
Post by SRS
Hi,
Musicdoc
Jim
Lorraine
Did anyone mention Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough [of Your Love]"?
w***@gmail.com
2016-02-08 06:30:12 UTC
Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns And Money.