Peter Frampton: Do You Feel Like We Do - Help With This Part...
p***@gmail.com
2019-03-03 14:26:18 UTC
After seeing Peter Frampton on VH-1 the other day (although he now looks
like someone's dad), I went back and listened to "Do You Feel Like We Do"
again. I never really thought about what he was really saying, so I did a
little digging and found his website (Frampton.Com). He's got lyrics there,
but when I pull up the lyrics, below is what it lists for the part of the
"Champagne for breakfast and a sherman in my hand
***** top, ***** tails - never fails
Must have been a dream I don’t believe where I’ve been
Come on - you wanna do it again?"
What the hell are the (*****'s) for? I assumed it was swearing, but nothing
fits. In the song, it sounds like he says "Pete".
By the way, what the hell's a "sherman", besides a tank?
Back in those days a Sherman was a brand of cigarette dipped in angel dust. Very popular at the time.
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-03 20:21:04 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
After seeing Peter Frampton on VH-1 the other day (although he now looks
like someone's dad), I went back and listened to "Do You Feel Like We Do"
again. I never really thought about what he was really saying, so I did a
little digging and found his website (Frampton.Com). He's got lyrics there,
but when I pull up the lyrics, below is what it lists for the part of the
"Champagne for breakfast and a sherman in my hand
***** top, ***** tails - never fails
Must have been a dream I don’t believe where I’ve been
Come on - you wanna do it again?"
What the hell are the (*****'s) for? I assumed it was swearing, but nothing
fits. In the song, it sounds like he says "Pete".
By the way, what the hell's a "sherman", besides a tank?
Back in those days a Sherman was a brand of cigarette dipped in angel dust. Very popular at the time.
Nope. Sherman was and is an expensive brand of cigarette. Nothing to
do with angel dust.

http://www.smokers-mall.com/cigarettes/nat-sherman.aspx

"Nat Sherman is the brand name for a line of handmade cigars and
"luxury cigarettes." The company, which began as a retail tobacconist,
continues to operate a flagship retail shop now located on 42nd
Street, off Fifth Avenue, in New York City. Corporate offices are now
located at the foot of the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, New
Jersey." (Wiki)

He began manufacturing cigarettes in the 1950s.
p***@gmail.com
2019-03-04 01:31:07 UTC
I most definitely agree we you. NAT Sherman's are an expensive cigarette in a brown wrapper known as Sherman's. In the 70s they were popular amongst the hip crowd for being dipped in animal tranquilizers (angel dust) and smoked. I wanted to add that I doubted Peter Frampton was part of that culture or that he was singing about that type of Sherman but could not find my way back to the post to edit it.
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-04 02:14:03 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I most definitely agree we you. NAT Sherman's are an expensive cigarette in a brown wrapper known as Sherman's. In the 70s they were popular amongst the hip crowd for being dipped in animal tranquilizers (angel dust) and smoked. I wanted to add that I doubted Peter Frampton was part of that culture or that he was singing about that type of Sherman but could not find my way back to the post to edit it.
Urban Dictionary:

1. sherms (drugs)
Variation of sherm and shermstick, tobacco mixed with weed and dipped
in pcp.

Called sherms because they look like expensive brown paper Nat Sherman
cigarettes or mini-cigars nats.

2. Sherm
A joint/cigarette dipped in LIQUID PCP not embalming fluid. The
embalming fluid is most commonly used to disguise the drug term PCP
for non-drug talkers. REAL EMBALMING FLUID MAY CAUSE DEATH AFTER
SMOKING.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sherms

But as you said, I don't think this is what Peter Frampton had in
mind unless there is something we don't know. I think he was
referring to the expensive cigarettes.
Daniel Rabourn
2024-01-27 15:35:31 UTC
Sherman was a cigarette laced with PCP. I remember them well from the late 70's.