Remember when we used to make playlists here?
R H Draney
2010-03-24 08:05:58 UTC
Don't know if any of the old gang are still around, but I got to thinking about
songs with the theme "you can depend on me, I'm there for you"...songs about
help and support...from the ones I've gathered so far, it looks like the early
70s was the real heyday for them:

"You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor
"Lean On Me" - Bill Withers
"Call On Me" - Chicago
"I'll Be Around" - Spinners
"Reach Out, I'll Be There" - Four Tops
"I'll Be There" - Jackson Five
"I'll Be There For You (Theme from Friends)" - Rembrandts
"You've Got A Friend In Me" - Randy Newman & Lyle Lovett
"I Can Help" - Billy Swan
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - Hollies

What others should I add to the list?...(apart from the old Cole Porter tune
"Friendship", maybe in the version done by Ray Charles and Ricky Skaggs)....r
--
"Oy! A cat made of lead cannot fly."
- Mark Brader declaims a basic scientific principle
progea
Queen - "You're My Best Friend":, just don't mention lists to Raja!
Loki Harfagr
2010-03-24 19:06:48 UTC
Post by progea
Post by R H Draney
Don't know if any of the old gang are still around, but I got to
thinking about songs with the theme "you can depend on me, I'm there
for you"...songs about help and support...from the ones I've gathered
  "You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor
  "Lean On Me" - Bill Withers
  "Call On Me" - Chicago
  "I'll Be Around" - Spinners
  "Reach Out, I'll Be There" - Four Tops "I'll Be There" - Jackson
  Five
  "I'll Be There For You (Theme from Friends)" - Rembrandts "You've
  Got A Friend In Me" - Randy Newman & Lyle Lovett "I Can Help" -
  Billy Swan
  "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - Hollies
What others should I add to the list
Queen - "You're My Best Friend":, just don't mention lists to Raja!
oh well, let's creep up a hinge:
"Former Lee Warmer" (Alice Cooper in DaDa)
,-)
R H Draney
2010-03-24 21:15:46 UTC
Post by Loki Harfagr
Post by progea
Post by R H Draney
Don't know if any of the old gang are still around, but I got to
thinking about songs with the theme "you can depend on me, I'm there
for you"...songs about help and support...from the ones I've gathered
  "You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor
  "Lean On Me" - Bill Withers
  "Call On Me" - Chicago
  "I'll Be Around" - Spinners
  "Reach Out, I'll Be There" - Four Tops "I'll Be There" - Jackson
  Five
  "I'll Be There For You (Theme from Friends)" - Rembrandts "You've
  Got A Friend In Me" - Randy Newman & Lyle Lovett "I Can Help" -
  Billy Swan
  "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - Hollies
What others should I add to the list
Queen - "You're My Best Friend":, just don't mention lists to Raja!
"Former Lee Warmer" (Alice Cooper in DaDa)
Good, this is exactly what I'm after....

Let's also add "Thank You For Being A Friend" by Andrew Gold (better known as
the theme from "Golden Girls")....r
Loki Harfagr
2010-03-25 19:29:29 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Loki Harfagr
Post by progea
Post by R H Draney
[...]
oh yeah! good catch :-)
in another way of taking that list theme, the 72' 'Rich man' LP from 'Climax Chicago'
had the anti- piece "Please don't help me".
(quite good though not as catalyst as their braintaking
"If you wanna know" but that one would be a head piece for another theme list ;-)
Randall
2010-03-27 03:47:42 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Don't know if any of the old gang are still around, but I got to thinking about
songs with the theme "you can depend on me, I'm there for you"...songs about
help and support...from the ones I've gathered so far, it looks like the early
"I Can Help" - Billy Swan.

This rockabilly song with the organ in the background was recorded in
1974. It reached number 1 on both the pop and country charts. Elvis did
a cover the next year. I could have sworn this song came out about 1963.

Lyrics --
http://lyrics.filestube.com/song/0636488fa9e1860503ea,I-Can-Help.html

Listen -- http://popup.lala.com/popup/504966194353594936
Randall
2010-03-27 04:56:38 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Don't know if any of the old gang are still around, but I got to thinking about
songs with the theme "you can depend on me, I'm there for you"...songs about
help and support...from the ones I've gathered so far, it looks like the early
"You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor
"Lean On Me" - Bill Withers
"Call On Me" - Chicago
"I'll Be Around" - Spinners
"Reach Out, I'll Be There" - Four Tops
"I'll Be There" - Jackson Five
"I'll Be There For You (Theme from Friends)" - Rembrandts
"You've Got A Friend In Me" - Randy Newman & Lyle Lovett
"I Can Help" - Billy Swan
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - Hollies
What others should I add to the list?...(apart from the old Cole Porter tune
"Friendship", maybe in the version done by Ray Charles and Ricky Skaggs)....r
"That's What Friends Are For" - Dionne Warwick

"From a Distance" and
"Wind Beneath My Wings" - both by Bette Midler

"Mother's Little Helper" - Rolling Stones
(Sure, it's about a pill popping mother but hey, whatever helps you make
it through the day.)